Alvar Aalto, Paimio Chair, 1931-1932
Vi ste luč sveta. Mesto, ki stoji na gori, se ne more skriti. (Mt 5,14)
Siete voi la luce del mondo. Una città costruita sopra una montagna non può rimanere nascosta.
Arvo Pärdi Keskus, Laulasmaa
The Arvo Pärt Centre was founded in 2010 in Laulasmaa by the family of the composer. In the beginning, the Centre was hosted in a private house-turned-archive called Aliina. In the context of Pärt’s music, this name symbolises new beginnings. It was his piano piece Für Alina (Estonian: Aliinale) that served as the starting point for his tintinnabuli music in 1976. In its early years, the main tasks of the Centre were building and organising the archive and creating a digital information system. However, in order to open the archive to researchers and begin offering educational and concert activities, a new and much larger building was needed. To find the most suitable solution, an international architectural competition was announced in June 2014, which was won by Fuensanta Nieto and Enrique Sobejano from Nieto Sobejano Arquitectos. Construction work on the new building began in March 2017, with the Arvo Pärt Centre opening its doors to visitors on 17 October 2018.
The Elbphilharmonie is a concert hall in Hamburg, Germany. It is one of the largest and most acoustically advanced concert halls in the world. A visit is a special experience for all the senses. The music, of course, takes centre stage. In the Grand Hall this assumes a double meaning: the terraced rows of seats rise up high around the stage in a circle. This creates an extraordinary sense of proximity to the musical action. Especially since Yasuhisa Toyota’s acoustics make every note ring out as clear as crystal. As you make your way around the building, there are amazing views to discover at every turn. Because this concert hall – designed by the Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron – was built right in the middle of the Elbe River.
Arvo Pärt – Tallinn Chamber Orchestra, Tõnu Kaljuste | Elbphilharmonie LIVE
Dass Arvo Pärt heutzutage einer der meistgespielten lebenden Komponisten ist – daran hatten Manfred Eicher und sein Label ECM in den 80er Jahren einen großen Anteil. Mit der Veröffentlichung von Pärts Stück »Tabula Rasa«, das Manfred Eicher damals zutiefst beeindruckte, gelang ECM eine Jahrhundert-Aufnahme. Und auch Arvo Pärts spirituelle Klangsprache wurde durch die Platte einer immer noch wachsenden Zuhörerschar näher gebracht. Im Rahmen eines Portrait-Konzerts wurden in der Elbphilharmonie einige von Pärts bedeutendsten Werken aufgeführt. Die Interpreten sind allesamt absolute Pärt-Experten, Wegbegleiter der ersten Stunde und auf einigen der bekanntesten Pärt Einspielungen zu hören – das Tallinn Chamber Orchestra, der Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir und Dirigent Tõnu Kaljuste.
Arvo Pärdi Keskus, Laulasmaa, Estonia
The Arvo Pärt Centre is a foundation responsible for maintaining the personal archive of classical composer Arvo Pärt and operating as an information centre on the composer and his works. The centre is located in the coastal village of Laulasmaa in Lääne-Harju Parish, Estonia, about 35 kilometres to the west from Tallinn. It was established in 2010 by the Pärt family. In October 2018 the new building of the centre, designed by Spanish architects Fuensanta Nieto and Enrique Sobejano, was opened to the public.
Arco d’Augusto /Arch of Augustus, Rimini
Rimini is a sea of history, art, traditions and myths. Beyond the Adriatic horizon lives the ancient city, an open-air museum among the Arch of Augustus, Tiberius Bridge, the Amphitheatre and the Surgeon’s Domus.
Piero della Francesca, San Sigismondo e Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, 1451, Tempio Malatestiano, Rimini
Malatesta Temple /Tempio Malatestiano, Rimini
The Tempio Malatestiano is the unfinished cathedral church of Rimini, Italy. Officially named for St. Francis, it takes the popular name from Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, who commissioned its reconstruction by the famous Renaissance theorist and architect Leon Battista Alberti around 1450. San Francesco was originally a thirteenth-century Gothic church belonging to the Franciscans. The original church had a rectangular plan without side chapels, with a single nave ending with three apses. The central one was probably frescoed by Giotto, to whom is also attributed the crucifix now housed in the second right chapel. Malatesta called on Alberti, as his first ecclesiastical architectural work, to transform the building and make it into a kind of personal mausoleum for him and his lover and later his wife, Isotta degli Atti. The execution of the project was handed over to the Veronese Matteo di Andrea de’ Pasti, hired at the Estense court. Of Alberti’s project, the dome that appears in Matteo’s foundation medal of 1450—similar to that of the Pantheon of Rome and intended to be among the largest in Italy—was never built.
The Fontana Maggiore is a monumental medieval fountain located between the cathedral and the Palazzo dei Priori in the city of Perugia in Italy. It was made between 1277 and 1278 by sculptors Nicola Pisano and Giovanni Pisano.
Chiesa di Sant’Angelo della Pace in Porta Sole (circa 1375), Perugia
Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo, Perugia
San Michele Arcangelo, also known as Sant’Angelo, is a paleo-Christian temple in the city of Perugia in Umbria. The circular building dates to the 5th to 6th century, and incorporates corinthian capped columns from a prior pagan temple. It is dedicated to the Archangel Michael, whose churches were often located in elevated spots.
Petras Vestartas, Corrugated Cardboard Shell
Ron Resch, origami architecture
was one of first to explore the architectural potential of 3D tessellated structures in the 1960’s and 70’s.
Former gas-jet, now multifunctional Gong hall, Dolní Vítkovice, Ostrova, Czehe republic
An incorporation into the historical gasholder structure has sensitively restored this industrial construction into an extraordinary multifunctional centre. University students are taught here, international conferences and congresses are held here, even employee workshops and training or leading artists exhibitions take place here. A unique space solution, capacity together with the top audio-visual technology makes all of this possible. There is a multipurpose gallery on the ground floor, variably moveable conference rooms on the first floor, a foyer and a great hall with a capacity of 1500 spectators on the third and fourth floors.
Golubački grad /Cetatea Golubăț /The Golubac Fortress
Medieval fortified town on the south side of the Danube River, 4 km downstream from the modern-day town of Golubac, Serbia. Marks the entrance to the Đerdap national park. It is strategically located on the embankment of the Danube River where it narrows to form the Iron Gate gorge. The name of the fortress and the modern town in its vicinity can be translated as the “Pigeon city” or the “Dove city”. Myth tell about beautiful Serbian girl named Golubana. A local Turkish pasha fell in love with her, but she loved a young Serbian man and rejected all the proposals and expensive gifts from the pasha. Angered, he took her down in a boat and either imprisoned her in the only cone-roofed tower, or tied her to the rock above the river and left her there until she died.
Fântâna Înfrățirii, Strada Alba Iulia, Timisoara
Fountain, memorial monument in honor of the heroes who died in the December 1989 at anticommunist revolution in Timisoara.
Biertan’s triple naved late Gothic church was built between 1493 and 1522, housing superbly preserved Renaissance artwork, an intricately carved pulpit and mosaicked door.
Sibiu is a city in Transylvania, Romania. Formerly the centre of the Transylvanian Saxons.
Aici sa nascut in anul 1876 Constantin Brancusi, Hobița, România
Paula Modersohn-Becker Museum, Bremen, Germany
Château de Monthelon, Montréal, Bourgogne, France
Antoni Gaudi, Fairytale House in Park Guell
Masaccio, sv. Peter oživi Teofilovega sina po 14 letih, kapela Brancacci, Santa Maria del Carmine, Firence
Čas se neviden odeva / v noč ali dan. / Tako pred nami mineva / zdaj svetel in zdaj teman. // Kadar se času mudi, / ne gleda nase, / a spet in spet v uro upira oči, / če dolgčas pase. // Čas se dotika vsega / okrog nas. / A z leti najraje rezlja / gube v obraz. // Zob časa neustavljivo / gloda in ruši / vse živo / zunaj in v duši. // Časa samega zase sploh ni. / V vsakem od nas je. / In z nami vred se nekoč potopi / v gluho brezčasje.
Čas, Niko Grafenauer, Skrivnosti
Carlo Scarpa, Tomba Brion /Brion Cemetery, San Vito l’Altivole (1968)
Bassano del Grappa, Viale dei Martiri
Teatro Olimpico, Vicenza, Italia
Il mosaico, La Rocca di Asolo, Monte Ricco, Veneto, Italia
Selanska rotunda sv.Nikolaja, Romanic rotunda of the Virgin Mary and St. Nicholas in Selo, Prekmurje
Victory Gate, Ludwigstraße – Leopoldstraße, Johann Martin von Wagner, Münich
Jahresausstellung Akademie der Bildenden Künste München
6. Dan D, Zagreb
This gallery contains 9 photos.
Peter Paul Rubens, Curio Cabinet, Paintings from the Metamorphoses of the Roman poet Ovid, Rubens House, Antwerp
Palazzo Carciotti è un palazzo settecentesco di Trieste, stile neoclassico dall’architetto Matteo Pertsch
Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta, Aquileia
San Giovanni al Timavo /Sveti Janez Krstnik, Štivan / Saint John the Baptist
Georgia O’Keeffe’s Studio in Abiquiu, New Mexico
La Chapelle du Rosaire /Chapel of the Rosary, Vence
view from Musée Picasso, Antibes Juan-les-Pins
Musée Matisse, Nice
Musée Marc Chagall, Nice
Musée Marc Chagall, Nice, Alpes-Maritimes
Fernand Léger, Ceramique /Ceramic, 1953, 100x195cm, Maeght Foundation, Saint Paul-de-Vance
Musée national Fernand Léger, Biot
Les Rencontres d’Arles, 7 Juillet > 21 Septembre 2014
Sv.Mihael, Damelj, Bela krajina, Slovenija
Napuhana mrežna napetost /Net Blow-up, Yokohama
Le Corbusier, Chapelle Notre Dame du Haut, Ronchamp
Toyo Ito, Tama Art University Library (Hachioji campus), Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
Glenn Mercutt, House Marie Short, Kempsey, New South Wales, Australia
Cupressus sempervirens – Abbazia di Sant’ Antimo, Toscana, Italy